Prayer is crucial to the life of every follower of Christ, and especially for those raising families. While the Bible does not explicitly use the term “family prayer”, it contains truth that is relevant nonetheless. Here are some excellent family prayer quotes that we can obtain from the Word of God:
- Philippians 4:6: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”
- 1 Timothy 3:5: “For if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God’s church?”
- James 5:16: “Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.”
- Proverbs 22:6: “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17: “Pray without ceasing.”
- 1 Corinthians 11:3: “But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.”
- James 1:5: “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”
These family prayer quotes from scripture may not specifically address the practice of praying as a family. But there are many people in our modern day and age who have attested to the value of family prayer.
Some family prayer quotes from well-known figures
- “True prayer is a way of life, not just for use in cases of emergency. Make it a habit, and when the need arises you will be in practice.” – Billy Graham
- “Let us love one another as God loves each one of us. And where does this love begin? In our own home. How does it begin? By praying together.” – Mother Teresa
- “Family prayer is the greatest deterrent to sin, and hence the most beneficent provider of joy and happiness. The old saying is yet true: ‘The family that prays together stays together.’” – Thomas S. Monson
- “Nothing is more vital than prayer in Christian existence, and few things are more vulnerable to neglect.” – John Piper
- “May each family rediscover family prayer, which helps to bring about mutual understanding and forgiveness.” – Pope Francis
- “Prayer does change things, all kinds of things. But the most important thing it changes is us.” – R.C. Sproul
- “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.” – Martin Luther
- “There is nothing more important than parents passing on a generational legacy of faith and values to their children.” – James Dobson
So what do all these family prayer quotes say about how we should live? In fact, what is family prayer all about? At its core, family prayer is about taking time through your week to simply come together as a family and pray. It may seem like a trivial habit, but it is a habit with the potential to transform the way we live and function as a family.
Before we look at what family prayer can do, we must first look at what it does not do. Family prayer does not make God love us more. It does not guarantee that your family will never go through trials. And most notably, it does not even make us “good people.” The function of prayer in the family is so much more. Family prayer makes us love God more. It is a way for us to talk to our Creator, to reflect on His goodness, and intentionally seek time with Him.
And the fact that we can do this as a family is a beautiful thing. After all, God created the family. The family is a unique, God-ordained institution unlike no other. And so family prayer ultimately connects us both to God and to each other. When a family unites by a common love for Jesus, God is always glorified.
If family prayer is not a practice in your household, why not be the one to lead it? Be the role model for your kids and perhaps even your spouse, to point them in the direction of Christ. No amount of time you spend in God’s presence is ever wasted. If you start making these small sacrifices now, your family will be grateful for it. Yet, family prayer is not something you should do to gain admiration from others, but to please God, who always hears the call of those who love Him.
Also read: PRAYER FOR PEACE IN THE FAMILY