Prayer is crucial to the life of every follower of Christ, and especially for those raising families. While the Bible does not explicitly use the term “family prayer,” it contains the relevant truth. Here are some excellent family prayer quotes that we can obtain from the Word of God:
- Philippians 4:6: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”
- 1 Timothy 3:5: “For if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God’s church?”
- James 5:16: “Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.”
- Proverbs 22:6: “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17: “Pray without ceasing.”
- 1 Corinthians 11:3: “But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.”
- James 1:5: “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”
When a family is united, it becomes a powerful force. That is what we want most for our families.
“The people are united, and they all speak the same language. After this, nothing they set out to do will be impossible for them!” Genesis 11:6 NLT
These family prayer quotes from scripture may not specifically address the practice of praying as a family. But many people in our modern-day age have attested to the value of family prayer.
Some family prayer quotes from well-known figures
Family prayer quotes can be a source of inspiration, unity, and strength. These quotes often encapsulate the importance of faith within the family unit and the power of praying together. Here are some of the most inspirational family prayer quotes:
- “True prayer is a way of life, not just for use in cases of emergency. Make it a habit, and when the need arises, you will be in practice.” – Billy Graham
- “Let us love one another as God loves each one of us. And where does this love begin? In our own home. How does it begin? By praying together.” – Mother Teresa
- “Nothing is more vital than prayer in Christian existence, and few things are more vulnerable to neglect.” – John Piper
- “May each family rediscover family prayer, which helps to bring about mutual understanding and forgiveness.” – Pope Francis
- “Prayer does change things, all kinds of things. But the most important thing it changes is us.” – R.C. Sproul
- “There is nothing more important than parents passing on a generational legacy of faith and values to their children.” – James Dobson
- “The family that prays together stays together.” – Al Scalpone
- This timeless quote emphasizes the bond and unity that shared prayer can create within a family.
- “Prayer is the key in the morning and the bolt at night.” – An Old Proverb
- Highlighting the importance of starting and ending the day with prayer, this proverb speaks to the protective and grounding power of prayer for families.
- “Family prayer is the greatest deterrent to sin, and hence the most beneficent provider of joy and happiness.” – Thomas S. Monson
- This quote speaks to the spiritual and emotional benefits of praying as a family.
- “I believe the greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you.” – Joyce Meyer
- This quote, while not exclusively about prayer, emphasizes the role of personal well-being in the family’s overall health, to which prayer can significantly contribute.
- “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” – Joshua 24:15 (Bible)
- This Biblical verse is a declaration of commitment to God, often used to express the centrality of faith in family life.
- “Where there is prayer, the family is sanctified.” – Unknown
- This quote reflects the belief that prayer sanctifies and blesses the family home and relationships.
- “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.” – Martin Luther
- Luther’s quote, while more broadly about the Christian life, underscores the vital role of prayer in the spiritual life of a family.
- “God can heal a broken heart, but He has to have all the pieces.” – Unknown
- This quote speaks to the power of prayer in bringing healing and wholeness to families going through difficult times.
- “Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays.” – Søren Kierkegaard
- A profound reminder that praying has a transformative effect on the individual and, by extension, on the family.
- “In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- Though not explicitly about prayer, this quote beautifully encapsulates the essence of love within family life, to which prayer is often a key contributor.
These quotes can serve as daily reminders of the importance of maintaining a solid spiritual foundation in family life, with prayer being a central pillar.
So what do all these family prayer quotes say about how we should live? In fact, what is family prayer all about? Family prayer is about taking time to come together and pray throughout your week. It may seem like a trivial habit, but it can potentially transform how we live and function as a family.
Before we look at what family prayer can do, we must look at what it does not do. Family prayer does not make God love us more.
It does not guarantee that your family will never go through trials. And most notably, it does not make us “good people.” The function of prayer in the family is so much more. Family prayer makes us love God more. It is a way to talk to our Creator, reflect on His goodness, and intentionally seek time with Him.
And the fact that we can do this as a family is beautiful. After all, God created the family. The family is a unique, God-ordained institution unlike any other. And so family prayer ultimately connects us both to God and each other. God is always glorified when a family unites by a shared love for Jesus.
If family prayer is not a practice in your household, why not be the one to lead it? Be the role model for your kids and perhaps even your spouse to point them in the direction of Christ.
No amount of time you spend in God’s presence is ever wasted. Your family will be grateful if you start making these small sacrifices now. Yet, family prayer is not something you should do to gain admiration from others but to please God, who always hears the call of those who love Him.
Also read: PRAYER FOR PEACE IN THE FAMILY