Forgiveness, an open heart, a willingness to understand the other is what keeps love in relationships. Then problems can be discussed without offense or joking, as the Apostle Paul does in today’s daily devotional from 1 Corinthians. The Word of God is our teacher.
Devotional for Today, January 28
Therefore I urge you to imitate me. (full text at 1 Corinthians 4:14-21)
- Devotional for every day here: Daily Devotional
Paul emphasizes that he is like a father to the Corinthian Christian community. He, therefore, asks them to take an example from him, as a child takes an example from his parents or a student from his teachers. Paul, in turn, takes example from Jesus (1 Corinthians 11:1).
The Word of God is our Teacher
Today, let us take the Apostle Paul as an example and discover some relevant insights.
- Paul criticizes. Question for you my brother: Do you have friends around you whom you trust and who are not afraid to criticize you? Perhaps you are surrounded by people who do not speak the truth. Perhaps, they are only saying what you want to hear. Could it be that you are living under a delusion and illusion about yourself?
- Paul does not always have to be right. Do you reserve the right to be wrong? Do you admit your mistakes? Understand, admitting mistakes opens our eyes. We see what reality is and we can react, make decisions, innovate accordingly.
- Paul looks with respect at the other person and their imperfections. Do we want to live together with other people in quality? Then we need to learn patience. Understand that the other person is learning to live, just like you. No one is born knowing how to live. We are learning, so mistakes and shortcomings are inevitable. It is a learning process. Impatience is a common sin in today’s society.
- Paul manages to rise above the culture of anger. Our culture of communication and the expression of our opinions should not alienate people but bring them together.
Have the Courage to Learn
The Word of God is our Teacher. Let us learn from God’s Word that we should not be afraid of the truth, admit mistakes, have patience with others and not give in to anger. Then we will be happy in our relationships.
Prayer for Today
Thank You, God, for all Your lessons that have explained, opened, and liberated me. Teach me to speak the language of Yours. Let my words bring peace, truth, and comfort. Teach me to see the world through Your eyes. Let my plans and dreams be for your glory and for the good of all people. Teach me to love with Your love, that I may treat other people as children of God, as brothers and sisters. God, be my father and teacher today. I ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Also read: Devotional for January 27